So last night, I was watching an old favorite on TV: Desperado, that 1995 action flick starring Salma Hayek and an IRRESISTIBLE Antonio Banderas. Needless to say, it was a nice girls’ night in for me. (Where’s my husband? I didn’t care at the moment…)
But as I was watching the movie, my feminist mind was saying, “I know, I know. I shouldn’t be oogling him like a piece of meat. Isn’t that what I’m trying to teach my future son NOT to do with women? Isn’t that kind of objectification what I rage about every now and then?” But, then again, I’m human. Sometimes it’s not about oogling. Maybe it’s about an appreciation of a certain kind of man that I a) grew up with, being a Puertorriqueña, and b) that has a way about him that makes him HIGHLY desirable.
1. Those dark, good looks. Not to be too shallow, but Antonio Banderas is VERY handsome. He has those dark, intense eyes that seem to look through you to that deep, inner part of your soul connected to your lady parts. He seems to say, “I see you, and I want you.” That can be very disabling, and up until this very moment, I couldn’t even articulate it into words. All it took was a few seconds of seeing this picture. Wait. *Pause* Yep, being disarmed again by those eyes. Now, this doesn’t have to be a sexual thing at all. It can simply be a connection you feel when you’re met with a man whose eyes are intense. That feeling lasts much longer than the actual encounter.
Now, I know what you’re saying: not all Latin men look like Antonio Banderas. Yes. I know. And you may also say, “even those Latin guys I may not find attractive seem to have lots of luck with women. What’s with that?” Well, I think I know. It’s because it’s not just about looks…
2. Latin men flirt like other men breathe —regularly and naturally. It’s about attitude. You may be out with some girls and notice this guy (I know, I wish!) looking at you from across the bar. He’ll wink and smile just as naturally and effortlessly as you smoothing your hair. That kind of natural flirting just makes you melt a little inside. Latin men have a reputation for charming women and not always relying on their looks either.
“American men don’t flirt, they often take an opposite route, and turn rudeness into some kind of come-on scheme,” says Francesca Di Meglio, an Italian blogger about Spanish and Italian men. “Latin men are sultry, suave, and always have a little humor to see your smile. That look they give you when you do smile tells you that you’re the only woman he sees.”
And let’s not forget their great ability to dance! Holding you close to him as he moves you across the floor can tell you exactly what he’s capable of afterward. It’s a combination of looks, style, humor, appetite and arrogance that wins you over. Almost every time!
3. A Latin man values family. Let’s face it, ladies. We are our evolution and instincts. We are mothers. (Most of us, anyway!) We instinctively are attracted to men who value the family and will take care of their parents when they age and of their children. Now, lately, yes, Latin men have been taking a lot of heat for having a womanizing reputation. My own mother once told me about dating a Dominican man: “Honey, they’ll impregnate you, cheat on you, and leave you. It’s almost genetic.” However, not all are womanizers. In fact, the machismo undercurrent in Latin society consider a family man of strong character. There are many Latin men who still would rather spend the long evenings around the family table eating, talking, laughing and celebrating those who brought life into the world.
4. A Latin man is a great lover. One of my friends once told me she had her first Latin lover when vacationing in England, and she never forgot it. I can believe that. Women are attracted to Latin men because they are confident and thought to be fabulous lovers. From personal experience, I agree. Latin men also love the female form, and pay attention to the details. From a simple caress of the shoulder to a soft, whispering kiss on the lower back, Latin men feel that part of being a man is a sexual prowess and comfort with everything sexual about a woman. This kind of forefront attention charms many ladies, like this one, out of their pants…and loving every minute of it!
5. A Latin man admires women of all shapes, sizes and colors. There’s nothing sexier than a man who wants you as much as you want him. And he wants you to want him. Literally. You will never see a Latin man work harder than in those first days of your romance. He will work to better himself and show you that he’s the one you want and that you are the one for him. From that first look he gives you across the bar, to those first months of romance and beyond he will instantly know that best feature of you—your eyes, legs, mouth, hair, skin, anything, and appreciate it as if he is first to do so. With him, you will find yourself loving your own self as much as you love him, and fill you with a sexiness and anticipation that takes your breath away.
With all these qualities, it’s easy to see how a romantic European (or Caribbean) getaway and being dined and charmed by a tall, dark Latin man is the #1 fantasy of almost every woman of all walks of life! I know, all this from watching an action flick? I agree. Latin men are a pleasant surprise from anywhere!